One element (but not the only one) of last night’s Democratic talkathon that deserves attention is the candidates’ unwillingness to challenge the phenomenon of “sanctuary cities” such as Minneapolis and New Have where local authorities refuse to enforce immigration law. This is one point that supports Bill Kristol’s assessment of last night’s debate as marking the possible vulnerability of the Democratic nominee in the fall. Today’s Yale Daily News reports on New Haven’s road show taking the city’s municipal identification program for illegal aliens into the ‘hood. The consensus of the Democratic candidates’ in support of this phenomenon is striking.
Another element of the talkathon that marks the candidates’ vulnerability in the general election is their conformity on the desirability of public schools educating eight-year-olds on homosexual relationships. At one point last night one — was it during the discussion of Social Security? — one of the candidates referred to the unreality of the talkathon, but bankruptcy seemed to me the more appropriate metaphor. Senator Gravel found a way to salute himelf for his personal and business bankruptcies:
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Another Reason Obama Knows He's In Trouble
- Democrats Losing, So They Change the Rules [Updated]
- How To Tell Even Obama Knows He's In Trouble
- Hispanic Voters Are Reagan Voters!
- The Ebola panic, the media, and the limits of government
- Ebola panic and the limits of political sanity [Updated With Classic Image]
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell