Shaken by Climategate, the University of East Anglia’s Climatic Research Unit has reversed its long-standing policy and agreed to make its climate database public so that other researchers can check the conclusions that have been reached by global warming alarmists who, until now, have been the only ones with access to the data. What is not clear from this report is whether the formulas and calculations that were applied to the data to obtain published results will also be made public. In any event, shining sunlight on the heretofore secret world surrounding the manipulation of climate data can only be a good thing.
Now that the CRU is in retreat, maybe the liberal media will be shamed into covering the story.
UPDATE: I should have noted, of course, that CRU’s “raw data” isn’t raw at all. The university claims to have lost or thrown away most of the actual raw data it has gathered over the years; what it still has is the “improved” data that has been massaged by the alarmists. So it’s hard to say what significance this data dump will have, when it takes place some months from now. Still, any prying open of the veil of secrecy is, in principle, a good thing, and the ferocity with which the alarmists have resisted making this data available suggests that more objective scientists will find it interesting.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- House committee document could mean trouble for anti-Trump "deep statists"
- Bombshell: Simpson Admits Fusion GPS Went to the Press to Salvage Hillary's Campaign
- Schumer Flees From Tom Cotton
- The Week in Pictures: Pod People Edition
- White House issues tough statement on "Schumer Shutdown"
- A Primer on the "Government Shutdown"
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell