It’s never exactly been a secret that James Webb is a jerk. But even before he takes his place in the Senate, this fact is becoming common knowledge. First, he turned a kind inquiry about his son from President Bush into a confrontation. Given the president’s unpopularity, Webb figured he could get some mileage out of his boorish conduct, which he proceeded to publicize.
However, Webb doesn’t figure to get much mileage from stiffing veterans in Virginia Beach. Webb promised to appear at a Veterans’ Day event there, but pulled out at the last minute on the theory that attending would have “eaten up an entire weekend.” Webb then purported to be “perplexed” because the veterans weren’t sufficiently understanding of his circumstances.
According to the Virginian-Pilot, reaction from veterans ranged from disappointment to fury. Said Patrick Callahan, combat vet and president of a local Vietnam Veterans of America chapter, “ditching us was uncalled for and it will not be forgiven.”
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- House committee document could mean trouble for anti-Trump "deep statists"
- Bombshell: Simpson Admits Fusion GPS Went to the Press to Salvage Hillary's Campaign
- The Week in Pictures: Pod People Edition
- Schumer Flees From Tom Cotton
- Minnesota woman strikes St. Kate's
- White House issues tough statement on "Schumer Shutdown"
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell