Who says people on the left (outside of Jon Stewart) don’t have a sense of humor? Or at least of dry satire?
What else to make of this piece by Matthew Lynch at the Puffington Host on “Why Obama Is One of the Best Presidents Ever.” Given its appearance on the PuffHo I was nearly taken in by it ingenious irony, but I am not that easily fooled. I mean Lynch’s 12 reasons have some really funny dry humor:
Sure, he has committed his share of blunders and tripped over his own words from time to time. But, there isn’t a president in American history who didn’t flub up big time at some point during his administration. While I acknowledge he has made a number of mistakes in recent years, I stand firm in my conviction that Barack Obama is one of the greatest presidents America has ever seen. I believe history will prove this, and with time, he will be remembered in the annals of history as a revered revolutionary.
Here are 12 reasons why Obama is one of the best presidents ever:
- He is for The People. [My comment: Good to see “People” capitalized. That’s high up there in the leftist copy-edit style manual.]
- He is for civil rights. [Just not equal rights.]
- He is for one race—the human race.
- He is for a healthcare system that brings hope and healing to the hurting. [Okay so the material is starting to get a little thin, and the laughs a little more shallow. . .]
- He is for the middle class. [Now that is clever.]
- He is for peace. [I hear Obama has some fancy prize to prove it, though it may be hidden behind a drone-strike manual on his shelf.]
It goes on like this for six more reasons, all with additional commentary that I’ve omitted here.
Not to be outdone, Matthew Waldman at the American Prospect (shouldn’t it really be called the Post-American Prospect?) has an article with the headline “The Media Need To Do More to Help People Navigate Obamacare.” Because, you know, the media hasn’t done enough to help out Obama over the years. They owe him, by golly.
As I say, this is a nice attempt at humor, but I don’t think either of these guys ought to try out at the Improv.