Tim Blair’s blog alerted me to a blurb in U.S. News claiming that, when it comes to President Reagan, President Bush “has nothing on John Kerry.” And U.S. News is right, provided that one overlooks Kerry’s opposition to virtually every component of Reagan’s program — his tax cut, his defense build-up, and (Kerry’s pet peeve) Reagan’s efforts to fight Communism in Central America.
These trivialties aside, the two had much in common. For example, U.S. News assures that Kerry admired Reagan’s toughness, confidence, and discipline. He may also have liked Reagan’s hair-style. And Kerry yearns, say his friends, for the era of good feeling that prevailed during the Reagan presidency, highlighted by the Iran-Contra and Bork hearings.
We are also told that Kerry has read every biography of Reagan. We trust he will enjoy Steve Hayward’s.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Durham D.A. admits ideology will influence his prosecutorial discretion
- The media can't help but help Trump
- New York Times Applauds Far-Left Violence
- Munchin' on Mnuchin
- Google Teaming With Left-Wing Groups to Drive Conservatives Off the Internet?
- U.S. Civil Rights Commission wants no enemies on the left
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell