As John noted earlier today, Rasmussen reports that only 49 percent of the public now approves of the job President Obama is doing. From this, John concludes that “the honeymoon is over.”
I think that’s a fair statement, but would add that some residue of the honeymoon remains. If Obama were a year into his presidency in this economy, I’m pretty sure his approval rating would be significantly lower. What president has ever had the approval of half the country in an economic climate like this one?
Obama’s decline comes at a propitious moment. He is pushing radically misguided health care legislation, but finding that the words, however eloquent, of a president who is not particularly popular don’t carry great weight.
Unfortunately, Obama’s current approval rating tells us almost nothing about what his approval rating will be next year at this time, when, with congressional elections looming, the rating will matter more than it does today.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
2016 Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- Slain Charlotte man had lengthy criminal record
- Meet the black Charlotte police officer who shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Hillary: The Third World Has a "Right" to Move to the United States
- There's something about Hillary's eyes
- Under investigation [With Comment By John]
- "Basket of deplorables," David Brock edition
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell