The laiwahwps

We call them illegal immigrants. Others call them illegals, for short. They are also sometimes referred to as illegal aliens, which seems a bit harsh. And I’ve seen them referred to as undocumented workers, which doesn’t seem harsh enough.

But Eugene Robinson of the Washington Post has come up with a new moniker: law-abiding immigrants who are here without papers. Or LAIWAHWPs, for short.

Robinson surely understands that if you are in this country without papers, you aren’t law-abiding. Not even if you forgot your papers when you crossed the Rio Grande.

Maybe we should rename these folks the OLAIWAHWPs — the otherwise law-abiding immigrants who. . .you know the rest. Or illegal immigrants, for short.