This afternoon the US Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit released a decision holding the daily recitation of the pledge of allegiance in a public school classroom to be unconstitutional with respect to its reference to the United States being “one nation under God.” This decision is absurd. The first two of the founding laws of the United States are the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States. The Declaration invokes God in manifold capacities including as Nature’s God, as Creator who endows man with unalienable rights, as Supreme Judge of the World and as Author of Divine Providence. The Constitution concludes above the signature of George Washington and the founding fathers that it was “Done in Convention…in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.” How long will it be before the Declaration and the Constitution are declared unconstitutional?
The Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- Thoughts on the Ritual Now Taking Place in Ferguson, Missouri
- This Is Who Texas Democrats Are Defending
- Report: More than a dozen witnesses say Brown attacked officer [UPDATED]
- Was David Gregory fired for being "pro-Israel"?
- Breaking: Nuclear Sabotage in Europe?
- A window opens onto the left-wing mind
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell