If you’re depressed about the market, you might cheer yourself up by reading Trollope’s The Way We Live Now. Don’t be put off if you see a book jacket or introductory essay characterizing it as an indictment of “capitalism” (i.e., life). It isn’t; it’s a great book, with a couple of stock promoters who would be right at home today, right up to the tragic denouement. The “New Economy” of the time was a railroad from Salt Lake City to Mexico City which, however, no one actually intended to build. I guess that’s a distinction.
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: Crimea River Edition
- More Proof That Liberals Are Humorless Losers
- Exclusive to Power Line: Koch Industries Responds to New York Times Smears
- Latest News on the Climate Change Collapse
- Rand Paul: Did an Old Prejudice Rear Its Head In His CPAC Speech?
- Poll contains good news and bad news for Democrats [With Comment on Hillary By John]
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell