…is the title of Michelle Malkin’s latest column. Noting the press hysteria over Ashcroft’s assertion of Justice Department authority to detain illegal aliens who “pose a danger or a flight risk,” Malkin points out that under the current non-enforcement regime, illegal aliens, when caught, are merely ordered deported. Actually leaving, however, is entirely up to them. The vast majority simply walk out of court and disappear: “87 percent of all aliens released from immigration custody were never caught again, and were never deported.”
America’s immigration laws are woefully lax, but even more disturbing is the constant opposition by liberals to enforcement of the laws already on the books.
Most Read on Power Line
- Standoff at Bundy Ranch Ends, With Photo of the Year So Far
- Why You Should Be Sympathetic Toward Cliven Bundy
- Lilly Ledbetter and the lie that will not die
- The Hillary-Boeing-Russia triangle
- Is Scott Walker on his way to 2016 front-runner status?
- Balancing Act: The Democrats' Ideology Versus Reality
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell