…is the title of Michelle Malkin’s latest column. Noting the press hysteria over Ashcroft’s assertion of Justice Department authority to detain illegal aliens who “pose a danger or a flight risk,” Malkin points out that under the current non-enforcement regime, illegal aliens, when caught, are merely ordered deported. Actually leaving, however, is entirely up to them. The vast majority simply walk out of court and disappear: “87 percent of all aliens released from immigration custody were never caught again, and were never deported.”
America’s immigration laws are woefully lax, but even more disturbing is the constant opposition by liberals to enforcement of the laws already on the books.
Most Read on Power Line
- A Window Opens Onto the Left-Wing Conspiracy
- Are A Few Journalists Starting to Figure It Out?
- Dan Rather Plots Comeback, With Assist From Robert Redford
- World Cup preview -- Argentina vs. Holland [UPDATED -- Argentina wins]
- Why Jimmy Carter Is Smiling Right Now
- The Week in Pictures: Run for the Border Edition
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell