For some weeks, rumors have been circulating about the presence of senior al Qaeda leaders in Iran, and whether those leaders have been “detained,” as Iran says, or are being “harbored,” as the U.S. has charged.
Now, ABC News claims that: “Iran has been locked in highly secretive and complex extradition talks with Egypt, Kuwait and Saudi Arabia over prisoners held here who are widely believed to be senior members of Osama bin Laden’s Al-Qaeda network.”
Speculation varies over the identity of the leaders, but one name that crops up consistently is Saif al-Adel, said to have taken over as head of operations after Mohammad Atef was killed in Afghanistan. Some reports even say that Iran is holding al-Zawahiri, the Egyptian physician who is the number two figure in al Qaeda.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- We Live In a World Gone Mad
- What Carly can do
- What's Happening In States That Are Paying Attention Is Reassuring
- What Carly can do: Quotable quotes
- Kerry refuses to commit to follow U.S. law on sanctions
- Federal judge threatens to hold IRS commissioner and DOJ lawyers in contempt [With Comment by John]
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell