American troops discovered two weapons caches on a farm near Tikrit today, after receiving a tip from an Iraqi. One of the caches was huge, with a number of surface to air missiles, grenade launchers, a thousand pounds of plastic explosive and other munitions.
It’s a race against time, really; Baathist raids on American troops have no military significance but are directed entirely to a worldwide civilian audience–above all, of course, the American public. Our army will inevitably hunt them down, and as their power declines more and more Iraqis will inform on them. The question is whether this will happen before the American public turns against the whole Iraq effort.
DEACON adds: I agree, but would add that I don’t see President Bush changing his policy even if American public opinion turns. So, one scenario would be for public opinion to turn, our efforts to then become obviously successful, and for public opinion to turn back in favor of those efforts.
HINDROCKET responds: Yes, but only if all of that happens by November of next year. And it could. But if a Democrat wins, it’s all over for Iraq.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- The meaning of "Australia" [Updated With Chart: How Successful Was Australia?]
- Best Academic Abstract Ever [With Comments By John and Paul]
- Modest Proposals On Gun Violence
- Bon Jovi to Waters: Drop Dead!
- Hide the women and children, the Supreme Court is back in session
- The Washington Nationals' horribly disappointing season, what went wrong?
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell