Former Congressman John Thune apparently will announce tonight that he will run against Tom Daschle next year. Can he win? It will be close, but he will be a distinct underdog. Losing to Tim Johnson, however narrowly, took some of Thune’s luster away. Daschle’s popularity has slipped too, and the main rationale for electing a Democratic Senator in a Republican state–Daschle brought home the bacon–is largely gone now that the Democrats are in the minority, and will be for the foreseeable future. Still, Daschle is an excellent retail politician with a lot of stature in South Dakota, and I’ll be surprised if he can’t pull this race out, even if President Bush carries the state in a landslide.
For the up-to-date developments on this race, check out South Dakota Politics.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Durham D.A. admits ideology will influence his prosecutorial discretion
- The media can't help but help Trump
- New York Times Applauds Far-Left Violence
- Munchin' on Mnuchin
- Google Teaming With Left-Wing Groups to Drive Conservatives Off the Internet?
- U.S. Civil Rights Commission wants no enemies on the left
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell