The American Enterprise magazine is one of our favorites; under Karl Zinsmeister, it has become a premier public policy publication. So we were happy when Karl asked us to contribute an article to the magazine’s current issue, which focuses on the Ownership Society. The March issue is now available, and our contribution, “Broad Ownership Needs Broad Taxpaying,” is here.
The thesis of the article is that, while giving Americans ownership over their retirement and medical savings accounts is in most respects a great thing, there is one possible undesirable consequence: most taxpayers are tethered to financial responsibility for federal expenditures only through payroll taxes. If payroll taxes take the form of personal accounts, and the remainder of federal services are funded overwhelmingly through the personal income tax, a large majority of citizens will have little financial incentive to restrain the growth of government. Check it out.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- The Insane Left Hits Rock Bottom
- At the White House with Trump
- Judge blocks Trump's order on sanctuary cities
- Times Editorial Board Accuses Justice Gorsuch of Murder [with comment by Paul]
- 75 year-old vet acquitted of placing American flag at VA facility
- Former Official: Obama Administration Misled on Climate Change
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell