Kent Conrad’s decision on the Alito nomination must have been easier than Senator Chafee’s, and the North Dakota Senator has made it. He will vote to confirm. That makes four Dems. If my math is correct and barring a big surprise, Alito will have at least 57 votes, with the possibility of reaching 60 (if Snowe, Dorgan, and Landrieu all vote yes).
UPDATE: The Senate is voting on a motion to cut-off debate. It is expected to pass and clear the way for an up-or-down vote tomorrow morning.
FURTHER UPDATE: The Senate has invoked cloture, thus ending debate. The vote was 72-25.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Hillary Clinton: The Ultimate Empty Pantsuit?
- Renaming the Mountain
- Hillary's Email Scandal? Rush Limbaugh Made Her Do It!
- More sleepless nights for Team Clinton as additional classified documents are released
- Message to #BLM
- Hillary endorsed Blumenthal email attacking Netanyahu and Israel [UPDATED]
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell