Minneapolis Community and Technical College in downtown Minneapolis is the school that had planned to install footbaths for Muslim students until Star Tribune columnist Katherine Kersten blew the whistle. Now I understand that the authorities governing Minnesota state colleges have taken the matter under advisement.
Yesterday a student at MCTC wrote us concerning a small room on the third floor of the Technical Building, which I visited to take a look at myself. The room is identified as a “masjid” (mosque) and has Muslim-themed flyers (such as one on “the five pillars of Islam”) on and around the door. It is, moreover, designated for “sisters” only. According to a statement on the door, a comparable room is reserved for “brothers” at the same location on the fifth floor. These facilities, whatever they are, are apparently reserved for the use of Muslims.
I called the interim vice president for student affairs to ask about the rooms. She said she had no idea what I was talking about and asked me to send her an email message. I’ve written to ask for an explanation and will provide whatever response we receive. Brian Ledbetter, from whom I’ve borrowed the heading for this post, has been following a similar (apparently less egregious) case at George Mason University.
To comment on this post, go here.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
2016 Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- There's something about Hillary's health
- Meet the black Charlotte police officer who shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Our under-incarceration problem, Charlotte edition
- How's the Coverup Going, Hillary?
- Mark Cuban and Gennifer Flowers to Square Off at Monday's Debate? [with comment by Paul]
- What the NFL Can Teach Washington About Social Policy
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell