Ed Whelan has been keeping track of where Republican Senators stand on Judge Sotomayor. He counts 26 Republicans who have come out against her confirmation and 6 who say they will vote to confirm. That leaves eight who are undecided. They are: Barrasso, Bond, Ensign, Enzi, Gregg, McCain, Murkowski, and Voinovich.
My guess is that there are a few “no” votes in this group. Assuming, that all of the Dems vote to confirm, Sotomayor’s total will probably be in the very low 70s, as I expected. If a few Dems are too infirm to make the vote (don’t expect any no votes from this lot) or if most of the undecided Republicans vote “no,” her total will be in the high 60s.
So while Lindsey Graham succeeded in his quest for obtain praise from the liberal MSM, he did not succeed in inspiring his Republican colleagues to grant more deference to Democratic presidents than Democratic Senators grant Republican presidents.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
2016 Power Line Picks
Most Read on Power Line
- The Week in Pictures: Rigged! Edition
- Trump's Gettysburg Address? He's Off-Message!
- Democrat Agrees to Spanish-Language Debate, Drops Out When He Realizes Opponent Speaks Spanish
- Clues to a Mystery [Updated With a Third]
- The Russian connection (?)
- Philippine tilt towards China is latest fruit of Obama's foreign policy
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell