This past December Barack Obama announced that his views on gay marriage — he purportedly opposes it — are “evolving.” He articulated the depth of his “struggle.” Nobody knows the trouble he’s seen: “I struggle with this,” he said. “I have friends, I have people who work for me, who are in powerful, strong, long-lasting gay or lesbian unions. And they are extraordinary people, and this is something that means a lot to them and they care deeply about.” It must be difficult to feel so conflicted, but we can take comfort from the certain knowledge that his views will achieve a higher form some time soon after November 2012.
Now the administration has announced that it regards the Defense of Marriage Act as unconstitutional. It will cease defending it in court and, if all works as planned, the courts will complete Obama’s evolution for him. As National Review observed editorially yesterday, the administration has previously pretended to defend the act’s constitutionality in court while actually throwing the case. Yet it will continue to enforce the act until the courts do their thing. Like Obama himself, the administration is ambivalent but evolving toward a higher form of intellection.
NR editor Rich Lowry urges Obama to come out of the closet on gay marriage. Stand up and be a man!
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- Is Hillary's Glass Jaw Starting to Crack Already?
- Another reason why Hillary Clinton does not deserve to be president
- Delusional White House Calls ISIS Strategy "A Success"
- Race Hustlers Want Equal Treatment With Biker Gangs
- This Week's Energy Unicorn
- More evidence, via "Sid Vicious," of Hillary's Benghazi deceit
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell