When people ask what issues I’ve been most notably or embarrassingly wrong about, I always say that for two years, I believed that Osama bin Laden was dead. That conviction was crushed when he released his John Kerry campaign commercial shortly before the 2004 election.
Still, hope springs eternal, and it’s been quite a while since bin Laden has been heard from. The release of a new video a few days ago, which features Osama in footage that is obviously some years old, has caused others, including Michael Ledeen (via InstaPundit), to speculate that the old terrorist is no more.
I hope that’s right, but given my own history on this question, I’ll pop no champagne corks until we know for sure.
To comment on this post, go here.
- Subscribe now!... Get rid of ADs!Support Power Line...VIP MembershipPresentsPower Line
Most Read on Power Line
- House committee document could mean trouble for anti-Trump "deep statists"
- Bombshell: Simpson Admits Fusion GPS Went to the Press to Salvage Hillary's Campaign
- Schumer Flees From Tom Cotton
- The Week in Pictures: Pod People Edition
- White House issues tough statement on "Schumer Shutdown"
- A Primer on the "Government Shutdown"
Subscribe to Power Line by Email
Find us on Facebook
“Arise and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time.” Winston Churchill
“Proclaim Liberty throughout All the land unto All the Inhabitants Thereof.” Inscription on the Liberty Bell